Africa Healthcare Network (AHN) is looking for a Country Director to manage operations in Tanzania. AHN is the first dialysis chain across East Africa, providing high-quality, life-saving dialysis at an affordable cost to both the local patient population and patients from neighbouring countries, which do not have centres of their own. AHN brings world-class technical expertise combined with developing world practical operating experience to a region in dire need of quality dialysis treatment. In North America, over 97% of patients requiring treatment for kidney disease receive care; in East Africa, less than 5% receive care. AHN's goal is to increase access to high quality care at a lower cost to patients, delivered through a sustainable business model.
Location: Rwanda, Uganda, Tanzania, Democratic Republic of Congo, Kenya, Burundi
Need: Next 6 months
AHN is seeking a highly-motivated individual with outstanding leadership and management qualities to fill the position of Country Director (CD). We are looking for a goal-oriented, personable and collaborative Manager who understands and respects cultural subtleties. Based in East Africa, the CD will work to oversee AHN’s strategic vision and direction. As part of the senior leadership team, and reporting to the CEO, the CD will oversee and manage the day-to-day financial, administrative, and human resource functions of AHN country operations. The CD will liaise with AHN headquarters and global teams, as well as investors, and in-country partners.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Support the CEO in defining the Country Team's overall strategy, develop clear operational plans for execution, and continually identify opportunities for AHN to add value and maximize impact
- Establish and maintain robust financial, administrative, and human resource policies and systems, ensuring they are aligned with AHN global policies and are in compliant with local law.
- Oversee the financial management of the various centers, including monthly cash flow and financial reporting, audits, cash allocations, and budget forecasting and planning.
- Manage administrative team to ensure proper corporate and clinical functioning for security, logistics and finance
- Take the lead on recruitment, management of existing staff, ensuring adequate on-boarding for new staff and identify staff training needs and professional development opportunities.
- Oversee internal management of the countries daily operations, including contracting with vendors, ensuring compliance with local laws, and interfacing with AHNI’s legal and financial teams.
- Ensure that new centers are implemented with sound managerial, technical, financial and overall conducive practices, and that the processes and activities adhere to the organizational policies, legal and contractual obligations, and global AHN standards.
- Plan and execute specific initiatives as assigned by the CEO (Eg. World Kidney Day)
- Provide high-quality healthcare assistance to the government as needed/requested, and nurture a trusted relationship with government partners, corporate, multi-lateral, public institutions
- Identify and establish additional partnerships as appropriate.
- Develop and manage country budgets in collaboration with global and local staff
- Coordinate regular meetings with staff and provide training, feedback and mentoring
- Support fundraising efforts, proposal and concept note development, budgeting
- Develop communication materials, make presentations and represent AHN at public forums
- Maintain appropriate bi-directional communication with AHN headquarters to ensure that AHN's global capabilities are being fully leveraged
- Maintain a thorough understanding of the health landscape in the country
- Undertake other country tasks as the CEO may direct from time to time
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred, and experience in a health-related field
- At least 5 years of work experience in the private or public sector, with increasing levels of responsibility and leadership
- Experience conceiving, planning and executing complex programs or projects with verifiable results
- Exceptional written and oral communications skills
- Ability to work through sensitive political contexts and develop strong relationships with government officials and multilateral organizations
- Ability to work independently and effectively in high-pressure, fast-paced environment and handle multiple tasks simultaneously with minimal supervision; set priorities, delegate and work independently
- Ability to learn on the job quickly and absorb/synthesize a broad range of information
- Ability to mentor and lead teams for strong consistent performance
- Ability to work with limited budgets and human resources without extensive structural or operational support
- Demonstrated strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Strong work ethic and flexibility, respectful of local norms and culture, ability to work with humility and urgencyKnowledge of global and local healthcare landscape
- High levels of proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint